Sunday, June 3, 2012

NRW 22: Mini-Eggplant & Turkey Frittatas

New Recipe Week 22: Mini-Eggplant & Turkey Frittatas (Poppers)

Actually, this is more like a new idea rather than an actual recipe I'm trying out. I got the idea of the mini-poppers from Pinterest. I've seen zucchini poppers, mini-vegetable & bacon frittatas, and of course, the mini-chocolate chip pancakes I tried out a few months ago.


I actually woke up and threw this together without a recipe, then when I did some searching through my pinterest boards I came across the mini-vegetable & bacon frittatas recipe that is almost exactly how I made mine. I must have read it recently and it stuck in my subconscious cuz I was dreaming about these this morning. Even more funny to me was that I thought I was making something up, even going into my garden and picking the basil last minute as an afterthought. Ha! Georgia's (The Comfort of Cooking) photos are way better than mine though (like a 1000 times better) so I suggest you head over to her site and check it out!

Now the real reason I turned this omelet into mini-frittats is because I can't flip an omelet if my life depended on it. Definitely not for the lack of trying, more for the lack of courage to make a mess all over my kitchen floor. Here's a pic of my attempt with half of today's batter:


Ana got this omelet and I got the frittatas. I tried his omelet (all same ingredients just a little difference in the last step of cooking) and it was delicsh! But my frittatas were even better. The yummy fluffiness of the eggs and the lack of butter for frying made them feel lighter than the omlete, I mean I ate 8 of these poppers without a second thought! Definitely gonna keep experimenting with this idea, hope you do too!


Mini-Eggplant & Turkey Frittatas
Makes 16 Mini or 6 Regular Muffin Size

1/2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Shallots (Sliced)
1/2 Tsp kosher salt
1/4 Tsp freshly ground pepper
1/3 C Turkey (Diced)
1/2 C Eggplant (Cubed)
4 Eggs (next time I will make with 2 Eggs & 3 Egg Whites!)
1/4 C Heavy Cream
1/4 C Cheese (Finely grated)
4 Leaves Fresh Basil (Chopped)


-In a small bowl, beat together Eggs & Cream, set aside.
-Coat 16 cups of a mini-muffin pan (or 6 cups of regular muffin pan) with cooking spray and set aside.
-Heat Butter & Shallots in a frying pan over medium high heat, add S&P.
-Add Turkey & combine, then Eggplant, and cook for about 10 mins or until eggplant is tender.
-Remove from heat and mix in the Basil.
-Divide the turkey/eggplant mix into the prepared muffin tins.
-Scoop about 1-2 Tbsp of egg batter into each cup until full.
-Top with grated Cheese and Bake at 350 for 10 mins.
-Let cool for about 5 minutes before running a small knife alongside each frittata to release it from the pan. (I just used a spoon to scoop them out and I didn't wait the 5 mins, next time I'll wait & use a knife!)

No comments:

Post a Comment