Sunday, June 17, 2012

NRW 24: Tropical Carnitas (& a use for Pineapple-Mango Jam)

New Recipe Week 24: Slow Cooker Tropical Carnitas (& a use for my Pineapple-Mango Jam)

One of the recipients of my Pineapple-Mango Jam, Dr. Goldi, gave me this recipe using said jam. She said it was amazing and I couldn't wait to try it.


I did make a couple of changes, her's called for Root Beer, and I substituted with Beer & Brown Sugar and also semi-followed this recipe, but either way this was an amazingly yummy carnitas (or pulled pork) and super easy since you just toss everything in a slow cooker!



Tropical Carnitas
Serves 6

1.5 lbs Pork Shoulder or Tenderloin
1/4 C Onion (Diced)
1/2 Jalapeno (Diced)
1/4 C Beer (I used a Pale Lager)
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Dried Oregano (Crushed between fingers)
Salt & Pepper to taste

1/4 C Water
1/2 Pineapple-Mango Jam

-Heat slow cooker on high and place Pork on bottom of crock pot dish.
-Top with Onion, Jalapeno, Beer and sprinkle with Sugar, Oregano and S&P.
-Cover and cook on high for 4 hrs (or low for 7-8 hrs)
-After 4 hours, using tongs, pull meat apart, then add remaining Water & Jam, cover and cook another 1/2 hr on high.
-Serve as is or in burrito!

No comments:

Post a Comment