Friday, January 20, 2012

Maiyo's Baby Quilt & My First One!

So a few weeks after we found out we were pregnant, our local fabric store (Hearts Fabric) was having their annual sale which is the only one they have each year! So I decided that I wanted to try and make a baby quilt!

No experience in quilting and no pattern to boot, I set off and went crazy. $150 later, I had all kinds of fabric swatches & yards of fun fabrics, and went straight home to hopefully find an easy quilt pattern online. I googled 'baby quilt patterns' and found this one: http://quilting.about.com/od/blockofthemonth/ss/irish_chain_3.htm

So I began work. First I thought I'd use several different fabric patterns for the blocks:



But then I decided to use just the one Owl & Monkey fabric pattern & then use the Hot Dog fabric for the start & finish of the quilt. Those two mixed with the brown as the main boarder and I was left with the ABC fabric pattern to use as the inner boarder and decided to have it as the back side of the quilt as well, instead of the plain brown.

I had a lot of fun with this quilt, though I did make one mistake, I sewed the backside upside down, but the thing is, all the fabrics, except the ABC one, can be viewed either way, so you can't really tell! It took me a total of 4 straight sewing days to make this. That's about 25 hours! (of course this was my first and I had a lot of trial, error, and what the %$&! going on:-)


Since I used all flannel fabric it came out really comfy and you can even catch me cozying up with it! Definitely need to make a full size one of these for me! (Lots of work though!!!)


And I even gave it my personal little touch. I just hope that the baby will enjoy this and keep it for many, many years:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment