Thursday, January 26, 2012

In the Mood for Mom's Food

I had some ground lamb to cook with tonight and there's really only 1 recipe from my childhood that my mom made with Lamb and that's Cabbage Rolls. Passed on to her by her Egyptian Mother In-Law, my mom showed me how to make this when I was 10 and it's still a favorite.

The recipe is a process but the ingredients are minimal. Of course I've made my own changes to the recipe so here goes:

1 Head of Cabbage
2/3 lb Ground Lamb
1/4 C. Rice (uncooked)
1/4 White Onion (chopped)
1 Lemon (Large)
1 C. Water
Salt, Pepper & Garlic Powder

-Cut 4 slices into the Cabbage from the stem towards the inside. (this will allow the individual cabbage leaves to come off more easily) Then steam the cabbage until soft.
-In a bowl mix Lamb, Rice, Onion, 1/2 Lemon Juice & Spices.
-Pull off the top 2 leaves of the cabbage and place in the bottom of a heavy pot. Take the next leaf and fill with 3-4 Tbls of lamb mix and roll up like a burrito then place in pot on top of cabbage. Make more rolls with remaining lamb.
-Cover rolls completely with remaining cabbage.
-Combine Water with remaining 1/2 Lemon Juice and poor over cabbage rolls.
-Place on med-high heat until boiling then reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 mins or until lamb/rice is cooked through.
-Serve with plain greek yogurt or sour cream.

This photo has the rolls, yogurt and potatoes I boiled then browned in butter with S&P.

No comments:

Post a Comment