Sunday, January 22, 2012

NRW 3-Bob's Red Mill Black Bean Soup-Kinda

New Recipe Week 3

Well for this week I decided to try out Bob's Red Mill Bountiful Black Bean Soup, but it ended up more of a (tomato-less) Black Bean Chili.

It came out pretty yummy and I served it over Trader Joe's Corn Bread. It was the perfect meal for this rainy January night. What I would change for next time: actually use real chili peppers instead of the Cayenne Pepper, add more seasoning like Italian seasoning mix, it was a tad on the bland side.

Here's my version of the recipe (Serves 6):

1 Cup Roasted Corn (put frozen corn on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 mins.)
1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 Onion (Chopped)
1/2 Red Bell Pepper (Chopped)
1 Tsp Crushed Garlic
3 Cups Veggie Stock (homemade-see directions below)
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Bob's Red Mill Black Bean Soup Mix
1 Cup Butternut Squash (Chopped)
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Turkey
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tsp Ea. Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Paprika & Cayenne Pepper
Salt & Pepper to Taste

-In a Heavy Soup Pot heat oil then saute onion for a few mins. Add Red Bell Peppers & Garlic and saute another minute.
-Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.


Veggie Stock: I keep a freezer bag in the freezer and fill it with veggie trimmings when I'm prepping various dishes. I fill it with squash tops/bottoms, onion trimmings, carrot shavings, etc. and it takes me about a month to fill the bag. Then I combine with 6-8 quarts of water in a large stock pot, boil and simmer for about 2 hrs. This produces about 20 cups of broth which I strain into quart size freezer bags, freeze then use when needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment