Monday, July 2, 2012

Balsamic Fig Jam

Making another batch of jams this week and was inspired to try something different. One of my favorite appetizers (actually more of an indulgence) is French Brie with Fig Preserves, so I decided to try my own, with a twist!


Instead of using lemon juice I thought Balsamic Vinegar would be a wonderful marriage of flavors. I got the idea from a jam recipe I found online for raspberry fig port jam, I almost made it but changed my mind, the result being absolutely wonderful.


This jam will go with so many different dishes, polenta bites with goat cheese & fig jam, on a nice piece of perfectly grilled pork, a base for salad dressing or even as a topping for dessert, like over ice cream or on a tart, yum.


These jams are for sale in the 4oz ($4) and 8oz ($6) sizes, shipping available.

Balsamic Fig Jam
Makes ~ 52oz

2 lbs Figs (Chopped)
2 1/4 C Sugar (Divided)
1/2 C Balsamic Vinegar
1/8 Tsp Kosher Salt 
1 1/2 C Water
2 Tbsp Low-Sugar Pectin

-Combine Figs, 1 cup Sugar, Balsamic Vinegar & Salt in bowl, cover and let macerate in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
-Combine 1/2 cup Sugar & Pectin in small bowl, set aside.
-Add water and 3/4 cup Sugar to mixture and cook over medium heat, constantly stirring, until it boils rapidly for about 10 mins.
-Add in Pectin/Sugar and bring back to a rapid boil for 1 minute.
-Lower heat to low and let sit another 5 mins.
-Poor into sterilized jars and process in water bath, or store in refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment