Wednesday, May 9, 2012

NRW 18: Rainbow Chard with Italian Sausage

New Recipe Week 18: Rainbow Chard with Italian Sausage

I think I'm going to give up on chard, kale and collards for a while. I know I shouldn't start a recipe post with this viewpoint, but I've been trying really hard to like them for the last couple of years, never having had them until 2010, and I just don't seem to have the winter greens in me.

Don't get me wrong, all the dishes I've made with them have been wonderful, but I just don't enjoy them like I do squash or broccoli, I LOVE broccoli, I could eat a ton of broccoli in one sitting...

This dish was actually pretty good. The Italian Sausage paired perfectly with the chard and the spice was just right. It can be made as a side dish or main, I served it with my Kickin' Sweet Potato Mash which made for a well rounded meal.


Rainbow Chard with Italian Sausage
Serves 4
Adapted from Epicurious.com

1 Tbsp Bacon Grease or Butter
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1lb bunch Rainbow Chard
2 links Italian Sausage
1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper

-Cut stems from Chard & then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stack chard leaves and roll into cylinders. Cut cylinders crosswise to make 1-inch-thick strips of leaves. 
-Cut Italian Sausage in half lengthwise & again in quarters lengthwise. Then cute in 1/2 inch chunks.
-Heat Bacon Grease and Oil in a heavy skillet over moderately high heat, then sauté Chard Stems and Sausage with Sea Salt & Pepper, stirring occasionally, about 5-8 minutes.
-Add Chard Leaves and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until wilted.

No comments:

Post a Comment