Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Grandma's Coming to Town

With Maiyo rapidly growing, as baby's do, my mom decided to come and visit us for an overnight stay. I was so grateful for her giving us a "date night" (we went out for sushi btw:-) that I made her a batch of her most favorite cookies in the world, Mexican Wedding Cookies.

I got the recipe from my friend Jennifer over at Food Gourmet the Healthy Way. Actually, it's kinda fitting that these are my mom's favorite, as Jennifer made these for me when I was in the hospital giving birth to Maiyo. Now Grandma & Grandson can share this little connection through cookies.

The only problem with these cookies is that they are TOO EASY to make! Yup, only a few minutes and voila, there goes the waistline! Especially cuz it's physically impossible to just eat one, or five. So I've made it a rule that I only make these for my mom when she's visiting or vice versa, this way I'm not tempted to make them at any other time and stuff my face with their yumminess.


Mexican Wedding Cookies (aka Russian Tea Cakes)
Makes 2-3 Dozen

2 C Pecans (Chopped Fine or see Note below)
2 C Flour 
3/4 Tsp Salt 
1 C Butter (Room Temp)
1/3 C Superfine Sugar (Baker's Sugar)
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 C Powdered Sugar

-Whisk 1 cup Pecans, Flour & Salt in medium bowl; set aside.
-Using food processor process remaining Pecans to the texture of fine cornmeal. Stir into flour mixture and set aside. (NOTE: I process ALL of the pecans to a coarse grind rather than half chopped/half fine. I do this for my mom who doesn't like the texture of chopped nuts.)
-Beat Butter & Sugar until creamy then add Vanilla. Mix in Flour Mix, scrapping sides of bowl to blend.
-Scoop out about 1 Tbls dough, roll into ball and place on prepared cookie sheet. Continue with remaining dough placing 1.5 in apart. (Here I like to press the balls down with two fingers but you can shape them however you like!)
-Bake at 325 for 8-15 minutes or light gold in color.
-Let cool on sheet for 10 mins then transfer to cooling racks and cool another 30-45
mins.
-Once cooled, roll cookies in Powdered sugar for a generous coat.
-Either serve as is or re-coat with a dusting of powdered sugar.

Cookies Pre-Bake

Cookies Light Gold




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE these cookies! i also LOVE the photo of you in the purple dress - you look so beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I love reading about your adventures in Europe! Our next trip to Europe will be closer to you so we'll have to get together!

      Delete