Sunday, February 26, 2012

NRW 8: Potato Leek Soup

New Recipe Week 8: Potato Leek Soup

I've always wanted to try making potato leek soup and finally got around to it as I've been on a soup kick this last month. I've never cooked with leeks before so I was doubly interested in this recipe and it came out ok. I did get to use my new immersion blender so that made me very happy cuz its such a fun and easy kitchen tool!

Unfortunately I didn't have the last ingredient (Spinach) on hand and I think the soup would have been much better with it. As it was, it tasted ok, a little overpowered by the bay leaf, but I'll be trying this again, definitely with the spinach added and the bay leaf omitted.

No picture cuz it was a bland light green looking soup and didn't photograph well with my plates. Don't let that deter you though:-)

4 Tbsp Butter
3 Leeks (white and pale-green parts only, coarsely chopped)
1/2 Tsp Crushed Garlic
4 Russet Potatoes (cut into 1-inch cubes)
6 C Chicken Broth
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1 C Spinach (coarsely chopped)
Salt & Pepper

-In a large pot, heat the butter over medium low heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring, until the leeks are tender, about 15 minutes.
-Add the potatoes and cook another 8 minutes. 
-Add the broth & nutmeg and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
-With an immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth and creamy. Add the spinach leaves and pulse to blend.
-Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment