Friday, November 9, 2012

Bread Pudding

I finally made it to the Independent Market Place in Marina last week. The theme was Dia de Los Muertos and so I was very excited to go. The place was a little too tight & crowded for me and the Bob stroller, but the sights were lovely. It's definitely more of a place for grown ups (there was a bar smack dab in the center of it) which I actually liked, just not with baby in tow...

Anyway, they had artisan breads, cupcakes, cookies, pies, jams, textiles and food. I had the most yummy dry rub smoked brisket, really it was the best I've had in a very long time.

I also bought a loaf of sourdough from a local bakery. The ladies at the booth were really nice but I didn't realize, until I got back home and cut into the loaf, just how rock solid it was! We couldn't even eat the darn thing. So I decided, instead of giving this $7 loaf to the chickens, that I'd turn it into bread pudding for us to enjoy.


Definitely the perfect density for bread pudding, this dish turned out delish, though a little too sweet. So next time I'll cut down on the sugar, as shown in my recipe below. The original recipe called for 2 cups sugar and I used 1 cup sugar & 1/4 cup honey, which was still too sweet!! I also omitted the glaze cuz as I stated before, it was already too rich.

But next time I find myself with a too tough piece of bread, I'll definitely be making this again!


Bread Pudding
Serves 4-6

1/2 Loaf Sourdough (~4 Cups Cubed)
2 Eggs (Whisked)
2 1/4 C Milk
1.5 Tbsp Butter (Melted)
1/2 C Honey
1/2 C Sugar
6 Tsp Vanilla
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon or Nutmeg
1/4 C Candied Nuts (Chopped) (I used Toffee Almonds)

-Place Bread Cubes in a baking dish and set aside.
-Wisk Eggs in a large bowl then wisk in remaining ingredients.
-Pour over bread, yes, drown them good, then bake at 325 for 55 mins (until golden brown)
-Bread will float over mixture so gently pat down with a spoon or spatula then top with nuts.
-Let sit about 5 mins before serving & enjoy!

Adapted from The Pioneer Women

No comments:

Post a Comment