Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lotion Bars

So with all of the homemaking, washing, and super cold weather we've been having here in La Selva Beach, my hands have been completely tortured. But I'm not a huge hand lotion kind of gal, I'm not even good about moisturizing my face every day, it's just not something I do.


SO when I came across this lotion bar recipe I thought it would be a perfect solution for my poor hands.


And it is! Because the bar reacts to your body heat slowly, it doesn't just glop all over, which is exactly what I love about it. Also, it only has 3 ingredients; Beeswax, Shea Butter & Coconut Oil, simple to make and you can pour it into any kind of mold you desire.



The directions are pretty simple, only I would pour straight into the mold from the double boiler, don't bother transferring to a measuring cup or other instrument in order to pour into a mold, as the mixture cools rapidly. And, if you don't feel like making this yourself, I have some 1.5 oz bars available for purchase (just email me).


Lotion Bars
Makes 4-1.5 oz bars

2.25 oz Bees Wax (Best if you can buy from your local Bee Keeper or Apiary)
2 oz Shea Butter
2 oz Unrefined Coconut Oil
*Optional: 4-6 Drops Essential Oil

-Melt all ingredients in a double boiler over simmering water.
-Be sure to occasionally stir to help break everything down.
-Once all melted turn off heat & add Essential Oil*.
-Pour mixture into molds and let cool for about 30 mins.
-If needed, once cooled, place in freezer for 30 secs to help with release.


I used a silicone mold and a metal mini muffin pan to make these. The silicon mold bars popped out with no effort but the muffin pan needed to go into the freezer, then the bars just popped right out!



No comments:

Post a Comment