Friday, January 4, 2013

Apple Pie Jam

Ok, I keep meaning to make applesauce, apple butter and apple pie, but I just can't get over this apple pie jam! It's pretty wonderful stuff in a cup and makes making personal sized pies/turnovers a cinch, so I'm making another, bigger batch.


I highly recommend this one because its fall in a jar, and I so love the fall.


Many changes I made are very personal, most of which is the cut down on sugar. I use low-sugar pectin because I like to preserve the flavor of the fruit and this holds even more true for this jam. The original recipe is here at Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Kitchen, but you can see the significant changes in my version, and definitely for the better!


Apple Pie Jam
Makes ~52 oz
(recipe can be doubled or tripled)


4 C Crisp Apples (bout 6 depending on size, Peeled & Diced)
~1/2 C Water
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
3 Tbsp + 1 tsp Low-Sugar Pectin
1 1/4 C Sugar (Divided)
1 C Brown Sugar

-Peel and dice the apples then pack firmly into a 2 cup measure.
-Add water in between all the apple pieces to fill to 2 cups, repeat (or use a 4 cup measure)
-Put the apples, water, lemon juice and spices in pot.
-Mix 1/4 C Sugar with Pectin and add to fruit, stirring until well combined.
-Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
-Add both remaining sugars, stir well and bring back up to a full rolling boil for EXACTLY one minute while constantly stirring.
-Then turn on low and ladle into sterilized jars, cover and process for 10 mins.
-Enjoy on toast, as a turnover or hand pie, mixed with yogurt & granola, in oatmeal or on your pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment