Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cherry Port Jam

Next up in my summer jamming session is Cherry Port Jam. Bing cherries are all around and in perfect form so I have plans to also make cherry liqueur before they go away for the year.

This jam is divine. I would suggest using a bit nicer port (I used just a basic cooking port and not one of my yummy drinking ports like this one) it came out wonderful but a bit strong in smell, though not in taste..

Next time I make this recipe, I think I'll double the port but then reduce it in a separate pan then add the reduction to the jam...food for thought.


Cherry Port Jam
Makes ~52 ounces

6 C Dark Sweet Cherries (Pitted & Chopped)
3.5 C Sugar
1/4 C Port (High Quality)
3 Tbsp + 1 Tsp Low Sugar Pectin

-Prep the Cherries and place in large stock pot.
-Add 1 cup of Sugar to fruit and bring to a slow boil over medium heat.
-In a separate bowl mix 1/2 cup Sugar & Pectin and set aside.
-Cook fruit for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, then let cool slightly.
-Use a potato masher and mash fruit as fine or chunky as you desire.
-Return to heat, stir in Sugar-Pectin & Port and bring to a rolling boil for 10 mins.
-Add remaining 2 cups of Sugar and return to a boil for 1 min.
-Pour into small sterilized jars and either seal and place in refrigerator or process in a water bath.
-Water bath processed jams will stay good stored in a dark & cool place for one year, refrigerated jams will stay good for about 3 weeks.

NOTE: I doubled this recipe and it came out great but you can also half the recipe for a smaller batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment