Saturday, March 10, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie Two Ways

I absolutely love chicken pot pie. One of my favorite places to get one is at Kelly's French Bakery in Santa Cruz. She makes them with a light chicken broth which is so much better than the traditional overly creamy ones you can get in the freezer section at the grocery store. I'm all about enjoying a filling that isn't overpowered by the sauce, and this is exactly what I've been trying to duplicate.

I'm also a huge fan of yummy doughs and this one really goes hand in hand with the chicken filling. This has got to be my favorite savory dough to date and I'll be using it in many more recipes to come. Unfortunately though, one night while I was making the pot pie, my son Maiyo has having a cry-fest and so I was unable to take the time to make the dough. Instead I popped open a tube of Pillsbury Biscuit Jr's and placed those on top of the filling and I gotta say, it turned out pretty darn good, hence my pot pie two ways!


Version 1
Chicken Pot Pie 
Serves 4

Filling:
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/4 Onion (chopped small)
1 C. Potatoes-Fingerling (chopped small)
3 C. Fresh Spinach (blanched for 30 seconds)
1 C. Frozen Corn
1/2 Chicken Breast (boiled & shredded) 
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 Tsp. Chicken Bouillon
2 1/2 C. Chicken Broth
Salt & Pepper

-Saute Onion & Potatoes in Oil for about 10 mins.
-Add Spinach & lightly saute, add Corn until heated through, then add Chicken.
-Make well in middle of pan, place Flour in well & slowly add Chicken Broth with Bouillon until sauce consistency is what you want. Add Salt & Pepper to taste.

Pie Dough:
1 1/2 C. Flour
1/3 C. Corn Flour
1/2 Tsp. Salt
4 Tbsp. Butter (Cold)
3 Tbsp. Shortening
1/2 C. Ice Water (or Chicken Broth)
1 Egg

-Mix Flour, Corn Flour, Salt, Shortening & Butter with pastry blender (or 2 knives).
-Whisk Egg in Water and add to Flour Mixture until it holds together.
-Wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate for 30 mins.
-Roll out 2/3 dough on floured surface then place in baking dish. Add Filling then roll remaining dough and cover. Make a few slits in top.
-Bake @ 350 for 45 mins.



Version 2
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
Serves 4

Filling: Same As Above

Dough: 1 tube of Pillsbury Grands Jr. Biscuits


Prepare filling as directed above and pour into a medium size baking dish (8x8)
-Open tube of biscuits and pull apart.
-Flatten each biscuit then place on top of filling.
-Bake at 325 for 25 mins or until biscuits are golden on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment