Sunday, August 5, 2012

And Yet Another Jam

Why so many Jams you ask, I know I've been on a crazy kick, we eat a lot of PB&J's and I love jams in tarts and on zucchini bread, over yummy french cheeses and even as a base for pizza (my Balsamic-Fig Jam pizza to come soon). So why not jam, there's so much yummy fruit around where we live and it just makes perfect sense. If you're over jammed, I apologize, but if you tried my jams you wouldn't be complaining:-) but don't worry the jams will slow down...I finally bought a food dehydrator and now I'm going crazy with that!

heh

Sorry I don't have a picture for you. Things have been super busy/crazy here and I thought it would be better to get a recipe out than to have pictures, but maybe not, you let me know and I'll take some pics!

Correction: Took a picture of the jam but it didn't come out too well so I edited it with some fun effects

(oh and about this particular jam, I think I may do some more jamming this summer cuz I'm on a roll, these jams just keep getting better!)


Strawberry-Cherry Jam
Makes ~52 ounces

4 C Strawberries (Huled and Chopped)
2 C Dark Sweet Cherries (Pitted & Chopped)
3.5 C Sugar
3 Tbsp + 1 Tsp Low Sugar Pectin
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice 

-Prep the Strawberries & Cherries and place in large stock pot with Lemon Juice & 1 C Sugar.
-If you have time, let the fruit macerate about 30 mins (I put mine in the fridge overnight only cuz I got tired) and then bring to a slow boil over medium heat.
-In a separate bowl mix 1/2 cup Sugar & Pectin and set aside.
-Cook fruit for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, then let cool slightly.
-Use an immersion blender to mash up the fruit as fine or chunky as you desire.
-Return to heat, stir in Sugar-Pectin and bring to a rolling boil for 10 mins.
-Add remaining 2 cups of Sugar and return to a boil for 1 min.
-Pour into small sterilized jars and either seal and place in refrigerator or process in a water bath.
-Water bath processed jams will stay good stored in a dark & cool place for one year, refrigerated jams will stay good for about 3 weeks.

NOTE: I doubled this recipe and it came out great but you can also half the recipe for a smaller batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment