Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Best Roast Chicken Ever (& MM Twice Baked Potatoes)

I've been on a roasting binge lately, I love roasting anything and I usually am very satisfied with the outcomes. But this amazingly simple chicken roasting recipe has blown every other roasting recipe I've ever tried or come up with out of the water!

The only thing about this recipe is that you keep it simple, there is no stuffing of the chicken or putting veggies in the pan to roast with the chicken. I know, this kinda sucks if you're looking for a one pot meal, but really, the outcome is so worth making a side dish of veggies instead!


So to add a veggie I decided to make twice baked potatoes along side my chicken. And for greens, sauteed green beans. Topped off with a bottle of wine and I'm so in hog heaven right now:-)

The chicken recipe may sound a bit complicated on the original recipe website but really it isn't. I made a 3lb'r in the oven, placing the baking dish alongside a baking pan containing my cleaned russet potatoes. Bake them each for the same amount of time and you can end there for an even simpler menu than what I made (although the second part of my potatoes only took an few extra minutes).

The most complicated part to cook was the green beans and only cuz I blanched them first. But even then, their total cook time was about 6 mins!

This meal was amazing, all so easy to make, and a huge hit. I only wish I doubled up on the green beans cuz those went super fast! nom nom...


Roast Chicken
Serves 4

3-4 lb Whole Chicken
Salt, Pepper & Thyme
3 Tsp Kosher (Flake) Salt

-Rinse thoroughly and clean the Chicken.
-Pat dry with Paper Towels making sure to drain as much liquid as possible.
-Salt & Pepper the cavity of the Chicken.
-Truss the Chicken with twine (in a pinch you can use tooth picks to secure legs & wings to body of the bird)
-Place in baking dish and sprinkle with Kosher Salt.
-Bake at 450 for 55 mins.
-Take out of oven and sprinkle with Thyme then baste with juices & let rest for 15 mins, basting a couple of more times during this resting.

MM Twice Baked Potatoes
Serves 4

4 Medium-Large Russet Potatoes
1-2 Tbsp Butter (Unsalted)
3-4 Tbsp Yogurt (I used Greek Style Honey Flavored)
Salt, White Pepper (to taste)
Paprika & Chives (for garnish)

-Clean & scrub the Potatoes then place on baking pan and bake @ 450 for 55 mins.
-Remove from oven and cool about 10-15 mins.
-Reduce oven heat to 350.
-Make a slice cut lengthwise into the potatoes then scoop out potato meat into a bowl.
-Add Butter, Yogurt, Salt & White Pepper to potato and mash.
-Re-stuff potato shells with the mix and bake @ 350 for 20 mins.
-Garnish with Paprika & Chives.

Spicy Green Bean Saute
Serves 4
1 1/2 C (10oz) Haricorts Verts (Green Beans)
2 Qt Water
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Jalapeno (sliced)
1 1/2 Tsp Crushed Garlic
1 Tbsp Shallots (sliced)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)

-Bring a pot with 2 quarts Water to boil then add the Haricort Verts and cook for 2 mins. (If using American Green Beans, cook for 3-4 mins)
-In a saute pan, heat Olive Oil, Jalapeno, Garlic, Shallots and S&P over med-high heat.
-Strain the Green Beans (I use silicone tongs) and immediately toss into the saute pot and saute, stirring (with tongs), for about 4 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment